Trivia Quiz 02 Solutions
Last month’s CPS2 trivia challenge got six responses – a 500% increase over its predecessor! Pretty dang sweet, kind of.
As promised, here’s the complete answer sheet. If you haven’t had an opportunity to look through the questions yet, now’s the time to go back and do it. Click the link above if you want to avoid spoilers, or continue reading for the solution key.
Still here? Okay, here we go.
Super SF2 Answers
01) SSF2: Generally speaking (exceptions aside), how many new costume palettes did the average returning fighter receive?
Five: LK, MK, HK, Start, and held button
LP selects everyone’s WW color, MP selects CE colors, and HP selects HF colors.
02) SSF2: How many moves require two or more different buttons to perform?
Seven: Zangief’s PPP Double Lariat and KKK Quick Double Lariat, Dhalsim’s Teleport, T.Hawk’s Condor Dive, Balrog’s Turn Punch, Vega’s PPP Backslash and KKK Short Backslash
03) SSF2: Which characters have projectiles that dissipate on-screen?
Ryu and Chun Li
04) SSF2: What property makes Vega’s Izuna Drop unique among all other throws?
It can grab both grounded and airborne opponents.
05) SSF2: Rank the four dizzy types in order of rarity.
In my experience, birds are most common, followed by stars, then angels, and grim reapers are the rarest. Stars and birds have roughly the same rarity though.
06) SSF2: Rank the four dizzy types in order of base duration severity.
Stars have the shortest duration, followed by birds, then angels, and grim reapers have the longest duration.
07) SSF2: Which of these things is not like the others? Ryu’s LP Hadoken, Guile’s MP Sonic Boom, Sagat’s MK Tiger Shot, Dee Jay’s HP Air Slasher
Sagat’s Ground Tiger Shot is the only projectile which must be blocked low. However, due to the vagueness/ambiguity of the question, any answer containing a sensible explanation is fine. I always hated this type of question on exams, so i thought i’d give it a shot.
08) SSF2: List all of the characters located in the top row on the character select screen.
Ryu, Honda, Blanka, and Guile
09) SSF2: Which special moves don’t force crouching opponents to stand up upon connecting?
Ryu’s Fire Hadoken, first hit of Ken’s HP SRK, Dhalsim’s LP Yoga Fire, and Bison’s Headstomp
10) SSF2: Which special moves force standing opponents to crouch upon connecting?
First hit of Ken’s HP Shoryuken
11) SSF2: Which special moves have more frame disadvantage when blocked meaty than if blocked on their first active frame?
Blanka’s Vertical Rolling and Cammy’s Cannon Spike both bounce higher if they connect meaty. Nobody mentioned Blanka’s Backstep Rolling, so we’ll ignore it since it’s too complicated.
12) SSF2: Which two characters have two overlapping special move commands?
Ryu’s Fire Hadoken overlaps his blue Hadoken and Dhalsim’s Yoga Flame overlaps his Yoga Fire
13) SSF2: Compared to HF, list three major changes to Ryu’s existing special moves.
Going from HF to SSF2, Ryu’s HP Shoryuken knocks down, Hurricane Kick lost startup/recovery invincibility, LK Hurricane Kick only spins once, air Hurricane Kick arc changed, and blue Hadoken sprite was redrawn.
14) SSF2: Including new characters, how many new air throws were introduced in this game?
Four: Zangief’s MP/HP air throw, Zangief’s MK/HK air throw, Cammy’s HP air throw, and Cammy’s HK air throw
15) SSF2: How many characters can perform more than one air attack while jumping?
Five: Ryu’s j.LP xx air Hurricane Kick, Ken’s j.LP xx air Hurricane Kick, Chun Li’s c.MK stomp followed by whatever, T.Hawk’s j.LP xx Condor Dive, and Vega’s wall jump after an air attack to set up another air attack
16) SSF2: Which of Ken’s Shoryukens has the most invincibility?
HP Shoryuken (haha baited)
17) SSF2: Which three characters have no invincible special moves?
Blanka, Dee Jay, and Zangief, excluding SPD which only becomes invincible after it connects
Ryu, Ken, T.Hawk, Fei Long, Cammy, and Sagat all have DP. Honda has Sumo Smash, Guile has Flash Kick, Chun Li has SBK, Dhalsim has Teleport, Balrog has Headbutt, and Vega has Backflip. Bison and Dee Jay were the tricky ones, but Bison’s Psycho Crusher has one to three frames of invincible startup and Dee Jay’s Machine Gun Upper does not have full-body invincibility since it’s vulnerable to low attacks.
Super Turbo Answers
18) ST: What is the main difference between playable Akuma and CPU Akuma?
CPU Akuma automatically throws two air fireballs instead of one.
19) ST: Generally speaking (exceptions aside), how many new costume palettes did the average returning fighter receive?
Two: default LP and alternate old version LP+LK color
20) ST: How many characters have no eyebrows on the character select screen?
Seven: Blanka, Guile, Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Balrog, Sagat, and Bison
21) ST: How many characters’ jumping forward animation is different from their jumping backward animation?
Seven: Ryu, Honda, Blanka, Ken, T.Hawk, Vega, and Akuma
22) ST: Which of these things is not like the others? Ryu’s super, Honda’s super, Chun Li’s super, Dhalsim’s super
Unlike the other three, Chun Li’s super doesn’t nullify oncoming projectiles. Due to the vagueness/ambiguity of the question, any answer containing a sensible explanation is fine.
23) ST: Which six characters can set their opponents on fire?
Ryu’s Fire Hadoken, Ken HP Shoryuken, Dhalsim’s Yoga Fire, Fei Long’s flame kick, Bison’s Psycho Crusher, and Akuma’s red fireball
24) ST: List all attacks with a juggle potential of exactly two.
Ryu’s j.MP, Chun Li’s upkicks, Fei Long’s chicken wing, Dee Jay’s upkicks, Vega’s flipkick, Bison’s j.MP, Akuma’s DP, and Akuma’s Hurricane Kick
25) ST: Which two special move commands are notorious for interfering with footsies?
Ken’s F,DF,D+K fancykick and Zangief’s green hand hinder their ability to walk forward and attack low.
26) ST: Which supers tally the highest number of hits on the combo counter?
Guile’s super and Chun Li’s super both hit six times.
27) ST: Which supers tally the fewest (maximum) number of hits on the combo counter?
Honda’s super, Dee Jay’s super and Bison’s super hit four times. Blanka’s super can hit five times and throw supers don’t register on the combo counter.
28) ST: Which two supers can not be whiffed?
T.Hawk’s super and Vega’s super can not be performed without grabbing the opponent. Zangief’s super can be made to whiff using a crossup glitch.
29) ST: Which characters can control their supers after superfreeze?
Blanka can delay his roll and Balrog can alternate between straights and uppercuts.
30) ST: If Ryu’s Shinkuu Hadoken super passes through two Sonic Booms before reaching Guile, how many hits will it inflict?
Five hits, because passing through regular projectiles does not decrement the number of hits Ryu’s super fireball inflicts
31) ST: Which characters have both an overhead attack and an attack which can juggle?
Ryu’s F+MP plus j.MP, Fei Long’s F+MK plus super, and Ken’s fancykick overhead plus super
32) ST: Which characters single-handedly negate the throw softening mechanic by their presence alone?
O.Blanka and O.Balrog possess only untechable holds and they’re unable to tech throws by virtue of being SSF2-style characters.
33) ST: Which characters can perform a juggle combo against a non-jumping opponent?
Guile’s super knocks down before the last hit, Chun Li can knock down with super then juggle upkicks, Fei Long can knock down with super then juggle chicken wing, Dee Jay can knock down with super then juggle upkicks, Vega can knock down with flipkick then juggle another, Sagat can knock down with HP Tiger Uppercut then juggle with super, Bison can knock down with super then juggle with j.MP, and Akuma can juggle with Hurricane Kick or DP. Ryu is the only remaining character with a non-super juggling attack, but the final knockdown hit of his super does not act as a juggle launcher.
34) ST: Comparing N.Guile to O.Guile, how many normal moves are exclusive to each version?
Five exclusive N.Guile normals: far s.HP, close s.HK, far s.HK, F+MK hopkick, and B+MK hopkick
Two exclusive O.Guile normals: close s.HK and far s.HK
35) ST: Which characters have the same number of specials between old and new versions?
Ryu, Guile, T.Hawk, Sagat, and M.Bison
That’s all of ’em. How’d you do?