As some of you may have heard, i’ve been working on a PASBR balance patch with the extremely talented crew at Santa Monica Studio. In implementing these changes and prioritizing bugs to fix, we incorporated as much of the community’s feedback as possible.
Hopefully the end result is a more fun and balanced experience for the entire roster. Without further ado, here is the complete changelist for v1.12 of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!
• Isaac’s alternate “Engineering R.I.G.” costume and Zeus’ alternate “Young Zeus” costume have been unlocked.
• Every character’s throw attempts have been standardized to 9 startup frames, 3 active frames, and 18 recovery frames, with the exception of Isaac, Kat, and Ratchet.
• The minimum effective range of throws has been increased to 1 meter (previously 0.75m) for all characters except Parappa, Sackboy, and Toro.
• In online matches, jumping out of an opponent’s throw attempt is now resolved through the throw clash system.
• Every character’s air dodge has been standardized to 27 invincible frames followed by 9 vulnerable frames (previously 29 invincible plus 7 vulnerable).
• Every character’s directional rolls have been standardized to 18 invincible frames followed by 16 vulnerable frames, with the exception of Fat Princess, Spike, and Zeus.
• Characters can no longer perform actions for 3 frames after landing from air idle.
• Characters can no longer double jump during down tech.
• Landing during down tech or down tech canceled into air dodge now triggers the same recovery as landing during an attack.
• Getting hit in the air no longer renews a character’s double jump ability.
• All timed transformation Level 2 Supers can now be ended manually by pressing L2. Read more…
It’s been two years since i’ve highlighted a combo video here; mainly because ComboVid.com serves that purpose now. But this particular release was simply too good to resist. It’s the result of a two-year collaboration between Keiko and izumojin, both experts in the Street Fighter Alpha series – and the outcome is absolutely astounding!
Containing over ten minutes of Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha combos, the sheer amount of style on display is off the charts. There are so many crazy setups and new discoveries that it’s impossible to keep count.
This is a definite must-watch for any oldschool Street Fighter player. Magnetro did the editing, keeping it clean and simple, with fitting music choices. And according to the transcript, it may be Keiko’s final SFA2 series video. Well, it’s certainly a strong conclusion!
Even though the action RPG genre can be aggravating sometimes, i’ve sunk way too many hours into Diablo and Diablo 2 in their day to ignore Diablo 3. It’s an extremely polished game, especially in terms of visuals and presentation. Plus you get to spend half the game hanging out with Tyrael! What’s not to love? Well, a few things – so i have a few suggestions.
Item Auto-Pickup Conditions
Are speedy character builds such as “Spin Barb” and “Tempest Monk” intentional designs? If so, item pickup is what breaks their rhythm in a mundane way.
What if players could script a series of rules to automatically pick up and ignore certain item types? A one-page checklist would allow players to grab legendaries, rares, and Flawless Square gems by simply running over them – while ignoring blue and white items. If new players find this confusing, it can be hidden like Elective Mode or locked until lvl30 or lvl60.
Advanced players would love this feature, and pickup timing can be tuned to display the legendary orange beam for a split second before it’s bagged. (Seeing that beam is definitely an awesome moment! Whoever came up with that effect deserves a raise.)
Debuting as an Xbox One launch title, Killer Instinct was developed by Double Helix Games in Irvine, California and released just a few days ago. It’s free to download with one rotating character unlocked (currently Jago). A total of eight characters comprise the Season 1 roster.
Admittedly, the game is a little light on content at the moment, but Spinal and Fulgore should be arriving shortly, along with a new Story Mode rumored to expand on the outrageous backstory of the Killer Instinct universe. Hopefully enough people will support the game to justify the addition of many more characters and features.
It’s worth noting that Double Helix reached out to a number of fighting game players (including me) to explore Killer Instinct and provide extensive feedback during development. Obviously this doesn’t guarantee the gameplay is flawless, but it’s nice to know they genuinely care about making the fighting game community happy. Let’s be honest, the FGC isn’t exactly known for being easy to please!
I know there’s considerable hesitation regarding the Xbox One in general. It’s certainly an expensive console, so i can’t blame anyone for not wanting to buy it for Killer Instinct alone. But if you’re one of the million people who did pick one up, i hope you’ll give KI a chance.
In my opinion, whenever a studio tries to make a new AAA fighting game, it’s a good thing. How often do American studios even attempt to make fighting games anymore? Believe me, it’s hard to do. I have no idea if Killer Instinct will make a good tournament game, but it obviously has the potential – and it’ll be fun to find out. If enough players support it for long enough, it might turn into something really special!
Another year, another major fighting game tournament, another massive combo video collaboration premiered on the main stage during Sunday finals. Putting this video together was insanely chaotic up until the very last moment, but i think the end result was worth it.
Everyone attending The Fall Classic in Raleigh, North Carolina seemed to enjoy the screening today. On behalf of everyone who participated in making this combovid, we’re happy to have been present for the launch of a new major fighting game tournament. Hopefully TFC will become a respected and successful annual event in the tradition of Evo, NEC, ECT, and FR.